Air quality monitoring is to be carried out with two different approaches depending on if indoor air (inside buildings) or outdoor air (outside buildings) is being examined.
In both cases, pollutants can be chemical, physical and biological in the form of gas, vapour and particulate matter (fumes, dust, droplets, etc.) that are potentially harmful to the environment and human health.
As regards indoor pollution, the Italian Ministry of Health defines it as ‘the modification in the ordinary composition or physical state of indoor atmospheric air due to the presence of one or more substances with quantity and characteristics that can alter the normal environmental and healthiness conditions of the air and that can pose a risk to or directly or indirectly damage human health’.
White Lab Laboratories offer a full indoor air quality monitoring service in any context it is necessary:
- Public and private offices
- Community facilities (hospitals, schools, barracks, hotels, banks, etc.)
- Venues for recreational and/or social activities (cinemas, bars, restaurants, shops, sports facilities, etc.)
- Public and/or private means of transport (cars, trains, planes, boats, etc.)
- Working and industrial environments
- Confined spaces as set out in international standards OSHA 29 CFR 1910.146 and OSHA 29 CFR 1900:1200 and in document NIOSH 80.106.
The evaluation of air quality in working environments is performed in line with the provisions of Italian Legislative Decree No 81 of 2008 (Italian Consolidated Law on Safety at Work), considering the activities carried out in the specific working environment and the risk assessment document.
Outdoor pollution is defined as smog when it is visible and as gas when is it invisible. The quality of outdoor air is strongly affected by human activities: vehicular traffic, home heating, emission of industrial pollutants, etc.
The Italian and international policies on outdoor air quality are inspired by the Global Air Quality Guidelines (AQG 2021) published by the WHO. The indicators with their recommended limits are updated based on studies documenting the negative impact of air pollution on human health.
For example, if compared to AQG of 2015, the recommended values, expressed as annual average, went from 10 to 5 µg/m3 for fine particulate matter (PM2.5), from 20 to 15 µg/m3 for breathable particulate matter (PM10), from 40 to 10 µg/m3 for nitrogen dioxide (NO2), and a daily limit of 4 µg/m3 is recommended for carbon monoxide (CO).
In Italy, the environmental monitoring reference values for the characterisation of outdoor air quality are laid out in Legislative Decree No 155/2010 transposing Directive 2008/50/EC.
With White Lab Laboratories, you can carry out any necessary testing to monitor indoor and outdoor air quality and working environment air quality in order to determine all the parameters required by Italian Legislative Decree No 81 of 2008 and the guidelines set out by ACGIH – Association Advancing Occupational and Environmental Health.
Find out the range of White Lab’s services
- Indoor and outdoor air testing through static and dynamic direct and indirect sampling
- Physical parameter testing:
- Fine particles (PM10, PM2,5, PM1) with continuous and discontinuous sampling
- Microclimate surveys
- Phonometric surveys
- Illuminance and luminance measurement
- Mechanical vibration
- Biological agent testing:
- Determination of microbiological contamination (bacteria such as Legionella, fungi, yeasts, etc.)
- Airborne microbiological component
- Microbiological component on surfaces
- Chemical component testing:
- Organic compounds (formaldehyde, BTEX - benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, and xylene - PAH, etc.)
- Inorganic compounds (ozone, carbon oxides, nitrogen oxides, sulphur dioxide, etc.)
- Identification of airborne asbestos fibres and evaluation of the state of fibre-cement roofing (Eternit®)
Analysis and services
White Lab's offer for the biological evaluation of your Medical Device with biocompatibility studies.
Water treatment plants
Waste water purification plants and water recovery plants.
White Lab's offer for Controlled Environments and the Hospital Sector.
Meat and products thereof
Testing and services for the food matrix of meat and products thereof.
Testing and services offered by White Lab for Medical Devices.