Testing soils and sediments includes two main areas of intervention: agronomic evaluation and contaminant identification.
As regards testing agricultural land to develop fertilisation plans and to dispose of sludge in agriculture, White Lab offers a full consultancy, sampling and physical, chemical, microbiological testing service in compliance with applicable regulations.
The sludge coming from purification plants is real waste and it is therefore governed by Italian Legislative Decree No 152/06 and following amendments and additions. In addition, to use sludge in agriculture, it is necessary to operate within the parameters and limits set out in Italian Legislative Decree No 99/62 on ‘Agricultural soil intended for receiving sewage sludge’ and any relevant regional regulation.
Our offer also includes testing manures and fertilisers produced by the chemical industry or coming from biological treatment, composting and biogas production processes. Indeed, White Lab Laboratories have an Authorisation to test fertilisers in line with Italian Ministerial Decree of 27/04/2011 and are therefore included in the Italian Ministry of Agricultural and Forestry Policy’s national list of laboratories qualified to verify the compliance of fertilisers.
As regards testing sediments, that is a complex environmental matrix, as sediments include both materials coming from rocks and from human activities. There are several possible contamination sources. Some substances are present in water only in trace amounts and may generate bioaccumulation along the subsequent food chain.
Preliminary evaluations for remediation activities should also take into account inorganic compounds such as heavy metals and inorganic molecules like PCBs, dioxins, hydrocarbons and pesticides. In addition, the microbiological testing allows to identify and quantify pollutants coming from sewage and, in general, waste water (Italian Ministerial Decree No 46/2019).
In compliance with further industry regulations, specific testing must be carried out on excavated soils and rocks (Italian Presidential Decree, Regulation No 120/2017), backfill soils, demolition debris, substrates to cover landfills, marine and river sediments, material coming from core drilling and related leachates which must be subjected to leaching tests.
Thanks to its great experience in the industry, our team supports customers with the development of an appropriate testing strategy depending on the type of environmental matrix and the aim of the testing, ensuring the compliance with applicable regulations.
Find out the testing and services offered by White Lab
- Underground soil and water accredited sampling in line with UNICHIM Manual No 196/2:2004
- Agronomic testing
- Remediation soils
- Ecotoxicological testing
- Sediment testing
- Soil characterisation
- Drilled core testing
- Testing excavated soils and rocks in construction sites in line with Italian Presidential Decree No 120/2017
- Granulometric curves and soil geotechnical classification
- Drilling fluids
- Testing leachates (leaching test)
- Testing manures and fertilisers
- Testing sludge for agricultural disposal and soil improvers
- Testing compost to use in agriculture
- Testing interstitial soil gases
- Chemical testing such as heavy metals, dioxins, PCBs, hydrocarbons (MADEP and TPHCWG speciation, PAH), pesticides, radioactivity, microelements, organotin compounds
- Microbiological testing
- Physical testing such as soil texture and geotechnical determinations according to UNI CEN ISO/TS 17892:
- Water content (W)
- Attemberg limits
- Retained fraction at 0.4 mm
- Liquid limit (wL)
- Plastic limit (wP)
- Plasticity index (PI)
- Liquidity index (LI)
- Consistency index (CI)
- Relationship between water content and penetration of the conical tip
- Density in the anhydrous and wet state
- Mass of the granules (pycnometer)
- Granulometric distribution and effective porosity
Analysis and services
Asbestos and MMVFs
Identification, sampling and testing of asbestos and Man-Made Vitreous Fibres.
Qualitative and quantitative testing to identify the presence of PFAS in any matrix.
EC health mark
Testing and services for obtaining and maintaining the EC health mark.
Testing for the presence of radioactive substances, testing for radon, Total Indicative Dose, and Tritium.
Consultancy for Medical Devices
White Lab's consultancy and regulatory support services for Medical Devices.